The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fort Fisher Flag for Sale-- Part 3

The fort's commander, Col. Lamb, observed Parker's actions that day. In 1879, he wrote Parker, "I particularly noticed in the assault an officer who seemed to lead the column and who was almost recklessly brave....When we afterwards met on board the Steamer California...you had to come to see if you could be of any service to me in my wounded condition you can imagine my surprise...to learn that you were he and the pleasure it gave me to know that so brave and gallant foe had escaped."

According to tradition, the large flag was raised over Fort Fisher after its surrender.

The Garth's 50th Anniversary Annual Thanksgiving Auction was held Nov. 26th and 27th.

FOLLOWUP: The flags and artifacts were included in Sale 1054, Lot 585 and sold for $29,375.

I hope that the Fort Fisher State Historic Site got the lot, but doubt it.

A Brave Fellow. --Old B-Runner

No comments: