The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

An Interesting Grave at Wilmington's Oakdale Cemetery

I'm not sure if I saw it during my 1982 trip to the cemetery when I located Gem. Whiting's grave or some other time.

But, as I was walking around, I saw one grave with an interesting name for one Pierre Gustavant Touvant Walker.  Sounded kind of French or Cajun to me, but the last name Walker didn't fit with the first names.

Then, I saw the date of birth which was April 15, 1861.  This P.G.T. Walker was likely the son of pro-Confederate parents in Wilmington and he had been named after the Southern Hero of the Battle of Fort Sumter which had taken place a few days earlier, Pierre Gustavant Touvant Beauregard.

The proud parents had named their new-born son after the new hero.

Just one of those little things that make history so much fun.

Hey, P.G.T. Walker!!  --Old Secesh

No comments: