The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Elodie's Fiancee At the Battle of Manassas and Knocked Down


Elodie Todd's fiancee, Captain Nathaniel Dawson was at the Battle of Bull Run (Manassas) , July 21, 1861, with the Alabama troops.  He wrote her

"We have had a terrible battle today, my dear Elodie, but have achieved a glorious victory.  Our brigade was in the hottest of the engagement, and the 4th Ala. Reg. has been cut to pieces.  I have had from twenty to thirty killed or wounded in the Cadets, but thanks to a merciful Creator and your prayers, I escaped unscathed.

"A cannon ball struck a fence which I was crossing and knocked me down, but the only harm done me was a dislocation of my ankle which I do not think will give me much pain...."

He "Saw the Elephant."   --Old Secesh

No comments: