The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Old Abe and Friends-- Part 1: Eating Mexican Where Bill Murray Tred in Woodstock, Illinois


The McHenry County Civil War Round Table opened its speaker series for 2020 this past Tuesday, March 10 at the Woodstock, Illinois Public Library.

I got to Woodstock early and ate at the Taqueria La Placita Mexican restaurant on the famous Woodstock Square dating to the 1840s.  Tuesdays they have $1 tacos and I sure enjoyed those buck tacos.  Plus, this place is the site of the Tip Top Cafe from the movie "Groundhog Day."  This is where Bill Murray stuffed his face and where he stepped into that puddle was right outside it.  I sat in the very spot Bill was sitting in while stuffing.

"Groundhog Day" is my third all-time favorite movie and a whole lot of that movie was filmed in Woodstock.  They even have a walking tour of sites.  Bill Murray returned to Woodstock this past fall to film the Jeep commercial that showed during Super Bowl.

In case you're wondering about my top two movies, they are "Animal House" #1 and "Blues Brothers" #2.

Eating, A Movie And History.  Three of My Favorite Things.  --Old Groundhog

No comments: