The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Boy, Was That Fun Last Night in Union. First In-Person Round Table Meeting Since March 2020.

Last night I drove 30 miles from Spring Grove, Illinois, to Union, Illinois, for the first in person McHenry County Civil War Round Table (MCCWRT) meeting since March of 2020 (because of you-know-what).  We had an excellent presentation on Civil War generals by Bruce Allardice.

The meeting was held at the McHenry County Historical Society Museum located in an old school in Union.  We normally have our monthly meetings at the Woodstock (Illinois) Public Library, but their meeting rooms remain closed.  (Hopefully next month we can meet there.)

Just as fun, we also had a pre-meeting dinner group at the Checkers II restaurant in Union which had eight in attendance.  When we used to meet in Woodstock, we had the pre-meeting eat and greet at 3 Brothers restaurant.

I must admit that I used to take these get-togethers for granted, but believe me, no more.

In addition, I joined the McHenry County Historical Society.  While there I got to see the journals the MCCWRT has paid to have preserved and an exhibit on the GAR in McHenry County.

This, by the way, was the second farthest I'd been from home since March 2020.  The farthest was over Memorial Day weekend a couple weeks ago when I went to the Indy 500.

Sure Good to Be Back.  --Old Secesh


No comments: