The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Cushing Brothers-- Part 1

From the May 6, 2012, North Against South blog "The Four Cushing Brothers" by Richard Billies.

The last three posts, I wrote about Alonzo Cushing receiving his Medal of Honor for his heroic action at the Battle of Gettysburg, but he also had three other brothers who served during the war.  Two were in the Navy and one other in the Army.

One of these other three, in my opinion should also receive a Medal of Honor for his actions on sea and land, and particularly for leading the expedition that sank the powerful Confederate ironclad ram CSS Albemarle.

I am referring to William Barker Cushing who led many courageous reconnaissance missions as well as being in the naval brigade that attacked Fort Fisher.

This last month I have written a lot about his sinking of the Albemarle in my Running the Blockade blog.  Go to it and click on his name in the labels.

--Old Secesh


No comments: