The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

George Cadman Goes to a Ball in Memphis and Gets in a Fight: "Secesh and As Saucy As the Devil"

Letter home to his wife Esther on October 3, 1863 talking about a ball he went to in Memphis.

"...I don't think I told you in my last letter, but I went to a Ball last Saturday night.  There were some six of our company there.  Unluckily the parties at the Ball were all Secesh and a saucy as the devil.  There were a few Soldiers besides Co. B and after they had paid a Dollar for admittance they were not allowed the privilege of dancing.

"The boys bore it patiently for about two hours, but finding that forebearance had ceased to be a Virtue, they or rather we took and cleaned out the whole pile.  It ain't often I mix in a fuss, but I thought the confoundable rebels had gone far enough, for the reason assigned for not permitting the men to dance was because they were Union Soldiers.

"You never saw a place emptied so quick in your life.  One fellow trying to get out in a hurry fell into the Wood Box stern first and got jammed, his head stuck out at one end and his heels on the other.  We had to pull him out of the Box for he was a prisoner there."

Hey, Secesh!  Those Are My Unfriendly Folks.  --Old Secesh




No comments: