The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Sunday, November 14, 2021

RoadTrippin'-- Part 2: What Is RoadTrippin' Thru History?

I got the term "Roadtrippin' " from Liz and my love of traveling down this country's old roads.  You start the trip on one of these with no real idea where you are going to go or what you're going to see around the next bend or curve or town.  It is like a trip back home.

Illinois is lucky to have probably the three most famous of the old roads:  one from the early 1800s, the first transcontinental road and arguably the most famous of the numbered roads, here in Illinois.  That would be the National Road, Lincoln Highway and Route 66.

In 2006, when we retired, Liz and I drove from one end of Route 66 in Chicago to the other end in Santa Monica, California.  We also drove a big section of it in 2017 when we both turned 66 (you know, Route 66 when you're 66).  I have driven the Lincoln Highway from east Ohio out to Nebraska and also the whole National Road.

When we drive these old roads, we don't have a set time table because you never know what you'll find of interest along the way.

When I apply this to history, I start off with a story and really don't know where it is going to take me.

And this particular "RoadTrip" took me all over."

In the next post, I will give you an itinerary to know where you'll be going.

--Old Secesh


No comments: