The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Sunday, December 26, 2021

About That Everett Gettysburg Address-- Part 5: Only 285 Words

When Edward Everett was finished speaking, Abraham Lincoln  rose to speak.  Unlike Everett, he did not relive the battle.  In fact, he never mentioned the battle, the Union or slavery.  Instead, as Garry Wills wrote in his book on the Gettysburg Address, the president reached "beyond the historical particulars, ... [to] derive a new, transcendental, significance from this bloody episode."

In  only 285 words, he "wove a spell that has not, yet, been broken -- he called up a new nation out of the blood and trauma."

Edward Everett was quick to acknowledge the greatness of Lincoln's brief speech.  The day after the ceremony, he wrote to the president praising the "eloquent simplicity & appropriateness" of his remarks.

"I should be glad, if I could flatter myself that I came as near the central idea of the occasion, in two hours, as you did in two minutes."

Lincoln sent an immediate and gracious response:  "In our respective parts yesterday, you could not have been excused to make a short address, nor I a long one.  I am pleased to know that, in your judgement, the little that I did say was not entirely a failure."

Very Gracious of Lincoln and Quite a Compliment.  --Old Secesh


No comments: