The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, January 3, 2022

About Those Toy Civil War Muskets

From the December 2021 Civil War Times Magazine "Firing up interest."

The editor of the magazine, Dana B. Shoaf, went to Gettysburg with friends and one of them had his two sons  each a toy musket and forage cap (Union sadly) and they had a ball with them.  

That reminds me of the great fun my brother and I had with out muskets growing up.  We fought many battles against neighbor boys and Yankees with those.  It was always funny to "shoot" someone point blank and be told you missed.

Anyway, it brought back some good memories.  I have no idea what happened to my musket.  Perhaps the victim of one of Mom's garage sales.  Hope some other boy is still getting enjoyment from it.

Wondering if Southern boys are even allowed to play "Rebel" anymore?  Believe me, when I was growing up, nobody wanted to be Union soldiers.  Of course, you could "shoot" a pal point blank and he'd say you missed.

--Old Secesh


No comments: