The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

What Civil War Site Would You Visit on a Busman's Holiday? And, What Is a Busman's Holiday Anyway?

This question was asked of the editorial staff of the December 2021 Civil War Times magazine.

Editor Dana B. Shoaf said Shiloh.  Others said Mobile Bay, Vicksburg and Lookout Mountain.

Of course, little ol' me would want to go to Fort Fisher, especially since I haven't been there since you-know-what hit.

(While reading the Civil War Talk site today, I came across an Obediah Joseph Syfrett, a member of the 25th South Carolina Infantry Regiment, who was captured at Fort Fisher and sent to Elmira Prison Camp, which he survived.  He and his family moved to Texas where he died in 1925.  Now, finding a tidbit of information like that sure does make my day.)

Well, in case you're wondering what a "busman's holiday" is, I looked it up.  I'd heard of it, but wasn't really sure.

Originated in Britain and refers to a period of leisure time where a person does something of a similar nature to his normal occupation.  In case you're wondering.  Now, I know.  You learn something new every day.

There's Old Obediah.  --Old Secesh


No comments: