The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Can You Believe This City Councilman?

The headline says it all, "Councilman Removes Confederate Flags from Graves" in the April 23rd Opelika-Auburn (Al)News. Auburn city councilman Arthur L. Dowdell, a black man, removed Confederate flags from the Pine Hill Cemetery in Auburn.

he said several people told him they had problems with the flags and he drove to the cemetery and started pulling flags up. He said, "It's offensive to me and represents the Ku Klux Klan and racists." Furthermore, the flags will never go up again as long as he is a councilman.

The United Daughters of the Confederacy had placed the flags in preparation for Confederate Memorial Day. They have done this for the past fifty years.

He was accused of snapping one in half from a woman's ancestor's grave. I wasn't able to tell for sure, but it sounded like the woman was actually there when he did it. Said Dowdell, "I might have snapped it. If I did, so what? If I had my way, I would have broke them all up and stomped on them. That flag represents another country, another nation."

The paper had an online poll as to whether people thought Mr. Dowdell was right or not. Right 3%, 154 votes. Wrong, 97%, 5587 votes.

Let's Hope Everyone Remembers This Come Election Time. --Old B-Runner