The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Fort Fisher Survivors Association: H. C. McQueen

As I mentioned in the last post, I'd never heard of H. C. McQueen in connection with Fort Fisher. I didn't find anything on him with the search word Fort Fisher, but did with Wilmington.

He was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1912 from Wilmington, NC. His grave site is unknown.

Then, he was very involved in Wilmington and North Carolina's business from the early 1900s. He evidently did not live in Wilmington before 1900, but did afterwards.

One source showed him as President of the Murchisen National Bank of Wilmington and was a director of the Peoples Bank in Goldsboro, NC (my hometown). He was Chairman of the Board of the Peoples Savings Bank of Wilmington with $65,000 capital.

In 1919, he was shown as President of the Carolina Insurance Company. I found nothing of his being a Fort Fisher survivor. If he wasn't, perhaps he was on the Executive Committee for his business acumen.

I was unable to find out anything about R. W. Price or Jas. A. Smith. I have also not found any records of the Fort Fisher Survivors Association, other than a few mentions in the Back Then column in the Wilmington Star News.

Still a Mystery. --Old B-Runner