The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First Visit to the McHenry Civil War Round Table

Last night, I did something I've been planning to do for a long time, pay a visit to the McHenry County Civil War Round Table which have their monthly meeting in Woodstock, Illinois, just off the great Woodstock Square (see my Roadlog Blog for today). 

This is one nice library as well.

We had a presentation on McHenry County soldiers held prisoner in Confederate prisoners which I will write about later. 

They meet in the downstairs room and there were about thirty in attendance.  They don't just talk about the war, but also gave out a scholarship to a McHenry County senior in high school for a Civil War writing.  The group also raised funds to restore both the nationals and state flags of the 95th Illinois, which was the regiment primarily raised from McHenry County.  They also do a lot of work finding and marking the graves of veterans buried in the county, even Confederate, which really impresses me a lot.

They're planning a trip in June to Springfield, Illinois.

Impressive Group.  I'll Be Signing Up.  --Old Secesh

No comments: