The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, March 1, 2019

Sherman's 1865 Carolinas Campaign-- Part 3: Campaigns of the Civil War by The Blue & The Gray Press


I was finally able to find a brief mention of Schofield's move from Nashville, Tennessee, to Washington, D.C., in the space of 17 days, which I regard as quite a logistical undertaking.  That was the movement of some 13,000 troops over 1400 miles.

I found it in one of the Campaigns of the Civil War paperback books published  by The Blue & the Gray Press, Distributors, 251 Fourth Avenue, New York, N.Y..  There were 17 volumes with a price of $1.25 per volume.  Unfortunately there was no date.

At one time these were a big part of my collection of Civil War books when I was a kid without a lot of money.  I could afford these books.  They were noticeable with their blue and gray paper covers.  I have about ten of them and was never able to collect the whole group of 17 books.

Each one was written by leading participants and foremost scholars of each campaign.

The one I used for the information on Schofield's cross country trip was "March to the Sea:  Franklin and Nashville" by J.D. Cox.  Admittedly, this is a confusing title to also cover the Wilmington, N.C. Campaign and Carolinas Campaign, but this is where I found the information.

The ten people attending the McHenry County Civil War Round Table discussion group all said they remembered those books.

So, Who Was J.D. Cox?  --Old Secesh

No comments: