The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Writes to His Dad-- Part 3: His Dad Missed Him as Well

If Charles missed his father and the promised pony, the father, Harley Wayne, missed his son just as much.

In a letter home dated December 29, 1861, Captain Wayne wrote in a letter to his wife:  

"I am very glad to get your letter and Charley's picture.... The letter and picture were at once sources of pleasure and pain.  I could see the pretty features and the loving beaming eyes of my noble darling boy but I could not hear his voice nor could I grasp him in fond embrace s my whole soul yearned to do.

"And I was sad....  Do write me often and send me your picture.  Tell Charley I was pleased, very, with his picture and letter.  I will write to him again soon."

Less than two months later Captain Wayne joined Gen. U.S. Grant's command at Fort Donelson.  Captain Wayne missed the first major battle on February 15 and 16, 1862, that would catapult Grant into the forefront of Union war leaders.

--Old Secesh


No comments: