The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Road Trippin' Through History: Civil War Notables Buried at Philadelphia's West Laurel Hill Cemetery-- Part 1

One thing I like to do is take a Road Trip Through History, starting with one article and seeing how far and where I can follow it to.  This started in my Running the Blockade blog when I wrote about Marine Sgt. Richard Binder who received a Medal of Honor for his service at the Second Battle of Fort Fisher.  He is buried at West Laurel Hill Cemetery.

That means that I look through lists of people buried there and find anyone of particular interest.  I have been doing this in my Cooter's History Thing blog already.  Plus, I wrote about four other Medals of Honor recipients buried there in my Running the Blockade blog.

Here is one notable of interest who are buried with Sgt. Binder.

ROBERT COOPER GRIER (1794-1870)--   Associate Supreme Court Justice 1846-1870.  He would have been involved with decisions during the war.

I found three others which I will write about in the next post.

--Old Secesh


No comments: