The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Running the Blockade: Maurice's BBQ-- Students Get Sick--

Running the Blockade. Two items from our recent trip South.

1. MAURICE'S BBQ-- While approaching Columbia, South Carolina, on our way from Myrtle Beach to Knoxville, we were getting hungry and I saw a sign for a Maurice's BBQ at the next exit, so got off I-20.

I always try to get bbq whenever possible on our travels. As a big fan of eastern Carolina-style bbq, I just have to compare, but should add that I always like bbq.

Maurice's had a much different sauce than I'd ever had before and was good, but a bit on the expensive side. I didn't much care for their hush puppies, but the Carolina hash was excellent.

This restaurant was a shrine to the Confederacy with pictures of southern heroes and the flag waving above the capitol that caused all the controversy. Maurice is one person very proud of his heritage and even has a book about it as well as other pro-Confederate booklets. I doubt that he gets much business from the NAACP.



2. STUDENTS GET SICK-- On our way into Knoxville for the UT-NIU football game, we heard on the radio that 40 middle school students had gotten sick while watching the re-enactment of the Battle of Fort Sanders which happened near Washington Pike and Circle Road. Now, I understand that the study of history can put young folks to sleep, but SICK?

Oh, well, at least they GOT OUT OF CLASS. Never heard any follow up on the subject.

Some New News About an Old War. --Old B-R'er