The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Trace Adkins' "Til the Last Shot's Fired"

Recorded the CMA show Sunday. As usual, a great show, but for me, the main moment came when Trace Adkins sang "Til the Last Shot's Fired." That just got me, big time. I had to watch it about five times. Just one of those songs that send shivers up your back.

A good part of the song is where he is a Confederate soldier who dies at the Battle of Nashville. At the show, he was introduced by USMC Lt. Andrew Kiner who lost both legs overseas with the words, "It is not about the war, it's about the warrior." He received several standing ovations.

Then, there stood Trace alone in front of the West Point Glee Club, with pictures flashing behind him. It was enough to bring a tear to your eye.

The words to part of the song:

"I was there in the winter of '64
When we camped in the eyes of Nashville's door
Three hundred miles our trail had led
We barely had time to bury our dead

When the Yankees charged and our colors fell,
Overton Hill was a living hell
When we called retreat it was almost dark
I died with a grape shot in my heart."

Then the glee club kicked in with the chorus.

"Say a prayer for peace for every fallen son,
Set my spirit free. let me lay down my gun,
Sweet Mother Mary, I'm so tired,
but I can't come home til the last shot's fired."

Then, he went on to sing about World War II, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Trace Adkins wrote this song and it is on his album X (Ten). Well worth the purchase for this song alone.

I just wonder if some people will attack the song because of its reference to Confederate soldiers. Hopefully not.

That Was Quite a Moment. --Old B-Runner