The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, September 14, 2009

A Route 66 Civil War Motor Tour

Yesterday morning, I was talking with Kip Wellburn at the Munger Moss Motel in Lebanon, Missouri, preparing to leave on the final day of the Missouri Rt. 66 Association's annual motor tour.

I mentioned that they should have one for Civil War sites on 66. There are two battles I can think of, Wilson's Creek and Carthage and evidently shipbuilding in St. Louis that I can think of right off the bat.

He said I'd be happy to know that they were going to have one in 2011, the 150th anniversary of the start of the war. Sign me up for that one right now. I even offered to help. He did not know of the story of the ironclad monitor USS Milwaukee being in the Eads Bridge in St. Louis (see September 11th entry).

Then, I got to thinking about working on an Illinois Civil War motor tour as well. I might even volunteer for that myself.

Right off hand, I can think of two Medal of Honor winners buried in towns along the road as well as Camp Butler and a GAR museum in Springfield. And that is not counting all the Lincoln stuff.

Route 66 and the Civil War. Who'd Have Thought? --Old B-Runner