The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Gap Cave

Yesterday, I wrote about the Iron and Irony event taking place this weekend at Cumberland Gap National Historic Park.

I'd never heard of the Gap Cave, so looked it up in Wikipedia.

The lower part is known as King Solomon's Cave. During the Civil War, both Union and Confederate troops explored it and the adjacent Soldiers Cave.

Soldiers Cave was used as a hospital and storage area by both sides during the war. Many left their names and dates on the walls. We call that graffiti today, something you're not supposed to do.

I also read about smoke pictures of artillery in action, battles and flags from both sides being in evidence. I imagine a smoke picture is somehow made from the smoke of fires.

Bats in My Cave. --Old B-R