The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, November 28, 2009

The R. L. Hamilton Collection

Yesterday, I had the good fortune to be able to visit a small, but very interesting collection of Civil War era rifles, swords and other artifacts at a highly secure storage area in Goldsboro.

Mr. Hamilton has been collecting for years, but at an advanced age was looking for a place that would display it instead of selling it off. He wants future generations to be able to see these weapons. He has turned the collection over to Old Waynesborough Historical Commission which is storing them until an adequate display area can be obtained.

Even better, not only was I allowed to look at the items, but, as long as I put on gloves, I could handle them. I've never been able to pick up a Civil War rifle until now.

I'll give a partial list of what I saw next entry.

Was That Ever Neat. --Old B-Runner