The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Abraham Lincoln Supposes He Will Continue His Chicago Tribune Subscription Back in 1859

From the April 12, 2015, Chicago tribune "Lincoln's paper trail."

A letter from Abraham Lincoln to the Press and Tribune.

  The original is in the Robert R. McCormick Museum at Cantigny.  Robert McCormick owned the Tribune.

Springfield, June 15, 1859

Press & Tribune Co.

Gentlemen.

Herewith a draft to pay for your Daily another year from today.  I suppose I shall take The Press & Tribune as long as it and I both live, unless I become unable to pay for it.

In its devotion to our cause always, and to me personally last year, i owe a debt of gratitude, which I fear I shall never be able to pay.

Yours very truly
A. Lincoln

I wonder if the paper boy delivered it?

A Piece of History.  --Old Secesh Paper

No comments: