The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

John Hildt, Co. K, 1st Michigan Infantry

I was trying to find more information about this man who Tony Horwitz wrote about in his "PTSD: The Civil War's Hidden Legacy" in the January 2015, Smithsonian Magazine.

At first I just knew he was from Michigan so figured he probably was in a Michigan regiment.  However, I found that there were quite a few regiments from the state involved in the Seven Days Battles in 1862.  Then. later in the article I found he was in Company K of the 1st Michigan.

This really helped, but I still could not find out at which of the battles he was wounded.  However, Union casualties during the battles were 1,734 killed, 8,066 wounded and 6,055 missing/captured.  The Co. K roster lists a John Hilt from Ann Arbor, Michigan, but mention was also made that he might be John Hildt because of a spelling error.

--Old Secesh

No comments: