The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

McHenry County Civil War Round Table: I Re-upped for Two Years


We had the first regular meeting of 2016 last night at the Woodstock, Illinois, Library.  I met some of the folks earlier at Papa G's on Woodstock Square, dating to the 1850s for dinner and general history and Civil War talk.

Earlier I went to the small town, mom and pop bookstore "Between the Lines" and found a book on Stonewall Jackson and looked up W.H.C. Whiting, a Confederate general I'm very much interested in and who was captured at Fort Fisher and later died while in Union prison.

Apparently, when Stonewall Jackson was being relieved of his command by Confederate General Joseph Johnston at some point (perhaps before First Bull Run), Jackson had not received orders to be relieved and refused to step down until everything was in order, almost sparking a scene.  Whiting was there at the time.  Perhaps it was around the Seven Days battles.

Once at the meeting, I paid my $50 to cover the next two years of membership in this excellent organization. I also gave an additional $10 for cemetery work. (The organization has even gotten a new marker for a former Confederate soldier who died in the county.)

We had an excellent talk on Abraham Lincoln and William Seward.

--Old Secesh

No comments: