The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Charles C. Blacknall, 13th N.C. Infantry-- Part 1: This "Unjust and Unholy War" Forced On Us


From the May/June Civil War Times Illustrated magazine.  "My War" by Mark J. Crawford.

Captain (later colonel) Charles C. Blacknall of the 13th North Carolina Infantry Regiment wrote many letters home during his time in the service.

On July 21, 1861, his regiment had just recently arrived in Richmond, Virginia.  He wrote:  "I may perhaps never have the gratification of viewing these pages after the conclusion of the war, as there is no way of telling which way the Yankee may shoot in battle, and some stray ball might suddenly make me 'adorn a tale' instead of living to relate it, but ...

"I am resolved to do my duty and to use what means I can command towards a vigorous prosecution of this unjust and unholy war, in which we have been forced by our unnatural enemies of the North."

--Old Secesh


No comments: