The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Charles C. Blacknall, 13th N.C.-- Part 4: Manassas Aftermath "I Have Seen More Dead and Wounded Men Than I Ever Expected To See"


Charles Blacknall and the 13th N.C. were too late for the First Battle of Manassas (Battle of Bull Run in the North) but they did see the horrible aftermath.

Blacknall wrote of the scene he saw:  "The morning was dark and lowering and gloomy in the extreme, torrents of rain had fallen during the night and nature seemed sad and mournful....  In every direction you behold the dead and dying -- sights so heartrendering that I turn sorrowfully away from them....

"Hundreds of men are coming in, some in small crowds, others alone, stating that their companies are entirely lost....  I have read a great deal in history about war and battles but I can assure you that I have never formed the most distant conception of the reality.

"I have seen more dead and wounded men than I ever expected to see.  I see many men with their arms and legs shot off who seem to be perfectly regardless of their loss and as cheerful as if nothing had happened...."

Certainly an Introduction to Real War.  =--Old Secesh

No comments: