The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, May 3, 2019

MCCWRT April Discussion, Battle of Shiloh-- Part 1: A War and a Snowstorm


The McHenry County Civil War Round Table (MCCWRT) discussion group met Saturday, April 27 at Panera Bread in Crystal Lake, Illinois in the midst of all sorts of dire snow warnings.  As such, attendance was down to just four.  I went, but as Captain Jack Sparrow would say, "Kept a weather eye out."  As long as the snow didn't start sticking to the pavement, I was staying.

I brought along the huge book "American Heritage Civil War" to give to the eleven-year-old boy who has been at our last two meetings.  I had a smaller child's edition growing up.  But the thing I liked the most were the battle maps which had small soldiers charging and moving in formations.  I spent hours pouring over those maps.  And, the book was written by none other than Bruce Catton, who really knew his way around words.

*****************************

I had a little quiz for attendees concerning the Battle of Shiloh.

1.  Name the two U.S. Navy ships that helped turn the tide at the Battle of Shiloh?

2.  Name the two Union armies involved in the battle as well as the Confederate one.

Answers in the next post.

The Snow and the Blood and the Beer.  --Old SeceshSnow

No comments: