The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, March 25, 2023

With the 45th Illinois After the Battle of Shiloh Was Over-- Part 1: Sleeping Amongst the Dead and 'Indignant Over Loss of My Girl's Picture'

Same source as previous post.

April 7, 1862

When darkness fell, the 45th took over their former camp again "filled as they were with the dead of both armies.  We had no difficulty in sleeping well, even though the silent dead lay all about us.  The dead do not disturb us; it is the living we should be  afraid of.

"We built fires and cooked our frugal meal, and, after eating, gathered 'round the camp fire and recounted the deeds of valor done during the  the great battle, speaking kind words of our brave comrades who had fallen.

"A few Sibley tents, torn and riddled by shot and shell, were all we had left.  I lost my shirts, blankets, letters from home, my testament (mother's gift) and a picture of 'the girl I left behind me.'  I was more indignant over the loss of my girl's picture then I was  over the other articles."

--Old Secesh


No comments: