The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Why I Never Get Much Done on the Internet

Case in point, today's search for Civil War-related items.

I have a Yahoo Search for Civil War Items in the News. Today, I saw an article in the Chicago Sun-Times about two CW cannons in nearby Racine, Wi., being returned to Monument Square after protests. I read it.

Then saw the paper had listed, under Related Blogposts, a site called Civil War Memory. Went there and found it very interesting so read postings and put it on my favorites.

The article mentioned a Kenosha Civil War Museum, so searched it and spent time reading its website.

Then it mentioned having a temporary exhibit on the Union Army transport Maple Leaf which was sunk by a Confederate torpedo in the St. John's River, near Jacksonville, Florida.

Fount out it had a website so went there and spent time. Then to wikipedia which had a link to Florida Shipwrecks site.

This ended up taking about an hour.

I then posted to Florida Civil War historian Dale Cox about it. Figured he'd find it of interest.

I guess this is what they call Surfing the Net.

No Wonder I Get So Little Done When I'm on the Internet. --Old Blockade-Runner

No comments: