The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Civil War 2008 Calendar

My sister-in-law bought me a Civil War 2008 Calendar, but I just got it a few days ago. Excellent source of history, both with pictures, letters, little known facts, and diaries. I'll definitely get one myself next year.

Since I'm very interested in Fort Fisher and the Wilmington campaign, I was especially enjoyed the two entries from a letter by Private John Miller, 123rd Regt. Indiana Infantry. He wrote to his father from Fort Anderson, NC, Feb. 27.
1865.

"It is curious how careless of life war will render any man. Before I came into the army, it would have shocked me to see a man cut with a knife, or knocked down with a club. Now I can see any number of men killed and never give them a thought, or glance. Ah well, such is war and it can't be helped."

Later, in the same letter, he wrote, "I have had many fair shots at rebels but never hit one that I know of. The first time I ever shot at a man I was so excited at the thought that I trembled like a leaf, but I got used to that kind of business, and I can draw a "bead" on a rebel now as cooly as would on a squirrel and be glad to see him fall."

Interesting thoughts on how war changes a man.

Blockade-Runner

No comments: