The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, December 15, 2008

"It's a Wonderful Life"'s Civil War Connection

This past Saturday, I watched my third favorite all-time Christmas movie "It's a Wonderful Life." It is one I try to see every season along with my #1 favorite, "A Christmas Story" and #2 "Christmas Vacation."

Came across a blog by Alabama PBS guy, Tim Lennox's OFFair & ONline. Like me, IAWL is a favorite and that it is especially poignant this year because of the economy and the death June 6th of Robert J. Anderson, 75, who played the young George Bailey.

And now, for the Civil War connection. The movie was based on the short story, "The Greatest Gift" by Philip Van Doren Stern who was also a Civil War historian and author of several books on it, including one of my favorites, the "Pictorial History of the Confederate Navy."

So, There You Go, a Favorite Movie AND, a Favorite Period of History. --Old B-Runner