The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pearl Harbor Anniversary Today

Even though this is a Civil War blog, I always observe this anniversary, starting back when I taught school. My seventh graders always got a unit of Pearl Harbor and World War II at this time. (Even though originally our seventh graders had world geography and then later US History up to the Civil War (because of testing).

I tried to get other social studies teachers to do likewise, but with little success. I pointed out that Pearl Harbor was that generation's JFK assassination just as 9-11 was a day that will be remembered by all of their group.

It is especially important to observe it now with all the participants both at home and on the battlefields dying off at such a rate as they are.

It's the Least We Can Do.