The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Morgan's Raid-- Montgomery, Ohio-- Part 1

I guess I'd better get around to doing this account which I take from "The Longest Raid of the Civil War" by Lester V. Horowitz. My buddy Denny lent it to me and I have to return it this week at the Lincoln Highway Association's National Conference in Dixon, Illinois.

So, I'd best get cracking.

I drove through Montgomery, Ohio, several times back in a visit in Match. The first time was when I found out there were TWO Buffalo Wild Wings on US-22, Montgomery Road, that goes through the town. I went to the one way south and Denny and his group were at the one way north.

Anyway, pretty town that has been around a long time, since 1795 with lots of landmarks including a church that is featured on a Mort Kuntsler painting of Morgan's Civil War Raid. The old "3-C Highway (Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland) goes through it and it is today US-22.

Confederate General John Hunt Morgan's raid passed through town during its three-week raid through Indiana and Ohio in July 1863. That makes the town one of the few northern ones occupied by Confederate troops during he war.

More to Come. --Old B-Runner

No comments: