The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Letters Provide Look at "Crewel War"-- Part 1

From the January 2, 2008 Muskegon Chronicle "Civil War letters provide rare look at "crewel war" by Terry Judd.

The envelope has a US flag flying and a cannon firing with the words "Sure Cure for Treason and Traitors." Was it a sign of the times?

A total of 292 letters were donated by Wally Ewing of Grand Haven, Michigan, to the state's archives. They are from his great grandfather Henry McKendree Ewing of the 2nd Michigan.

On December 18, 1864, Ewing was in a military hospital squinting through his left eye after a Confederate bullet ripped through his tent and struck him in the right side of his head. Doctors were unable to save the eye. "My right eye I supposed I will never have the use of it anymore. The DR says he thinks my face won't be disfigured any. Well if I should be I will never disown the Cause ...I Shall not be Shamed of it. yet life wood Seam Sweeter if I cood See out of two eyes."

Henry Ewing enlisted in the spring of 1864 along with his brother-in-law, Al Hank, in the 2nd Michigan. Of 1819 men serving in the regiment, 118 were killed, 100 died from wounds, 15 died in Confederate prisons, 109 from disease and 208 discharged from wounds-- a 30% casualty rate.

More to Come. Old B-Runner

No comments: