The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

What We Need is a Route 66 Civil War in Illinois Motor Tour

Right now, Liz and I are in Fenton, Missouri, getting ready to join the Route 66 Association of Illinois 2010 Motor Tour to cross the famous Chain of Rocks Bridge over the Mississippi River north of St. Louis.

Later, today, we will be in the Illinois towns of Collinsville, Edwardsville, Hamel, Mount Olive, Litchfield and Carlinville.

No major Civil War battles were fought in any of them, but I'm sure there were GAR posts as well as veteran burials in each of these towns. Probably even some Confederate veterans interred as well. Also there might be famous persons, other than, of course, Abraham Lincoln, from the area. I already know about a woman who secretly served in the Union Army as a soldier who is buried in Sauneman, near Pontiac.

I am going to talk to some association folk at the Route 66 Hall of Fame banquet and induction tonight about having next year's tour focus on the Civil War in honor of the sesquicentennial of it starting next year.

I am willing to do something I don't often do, and that is to volunteer to do something. I'd sure like to do the research for stops along next year's tour.

I'm sure no tour has ever had the Civil War as its focus. This would be combining two of my all-time favorite things.

Maybe I'll Get Lucky and They Won't be Interested. --Old B-Runner

No comments: