The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Saving More of Bentonville Battlefield

I belong to the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT) where I put my money where my mouth is. I pay my dues and every so often donate extra money to battlefield acquisition, especially if it involves my birth state of North Carolina. I figure that if you are a Civil War buff, you should not only write, research and read about the war, you should actively support efforts to save as much as you can while you still can.

At the end of June, the CWPT's President James Lighthizer sent a letter informing us of the Trust's latest project to save 240 acres of Bentonville Battlefield. These acres are in four separate parcels. And, even better, every dollar I donate will be matched by a grant the Trust has arranged so its doubling my bucks.

My donation won't be a lot, $50 to be exact, but every little bit helps.

Maybe they can purchase some acres where they can have the 150th anniversary re-enactment in a place where visitors can ACTUALLY SEE IT.

This Fifty Bucks Is For You, Bentonville. --Old B-Runner

No comments: