The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Chicago's Camp Fry-- Part 1

From American Civil War Sites in Illinois.

When I was writing about the 153rd Illinois, I saw that they were organized at Camp Fry in Chicago.  While I am very aware of Camp Douglas, which had earlier served as a training camp for Illinois soldiers (and later the infamous prison of the same name), I had never heard of a Camp Fry.  More research was in order.

I found a map of the current city that showed the location on Chicago's North Side, by W. Diversey Parkway by N. Clark Street and N. Broadway.  It was a short distance northwest of  Chicago's Lincoln Park.

I also came across mention of a Camp Fry YMCA.  Perhaps that was named after the Camp Fry in question if it is located near the original.  Eventually, I found out the YMCA Camp Fry is in Naperville, a western Chicago suburb, so kind of doubt it.

--Old Secesh


1 comment:

Robert Szerlong said...

The 105th. Illinois Vol. Inf. Reg. was mustered out of service at camp Fry on June 7, 1865. Other Illinois Regiment's were also mustered out of service at this camp in 1865.
It is my understanding that a big fight brook out at a beerhall right outside of camp Fry between a mustering out regiment and some locals. The fight was because of an insult by one of the bartenders towards a union general that requite the Chicago Police, the mayor of Chicago and Gen. Hooker to bring to an end!