The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Col. Carter Van Vleck-- Part 2: "I Have Been True to My God..."

From the Sackett Family Association.  Col. Guy Carter Van Vleck.

Born 11 June 1830.  Died 23 August 1864.  Lawyer.  Entered the Union Army as a Lt.Col. August 1862 and soon became colonel of the 78th Illinois Infantry Regiment.

He was shot by a Confederate sharpshooter outside of Atlanta while on his way to rejoin his regiment after a short stay in the hospital for sickness.    He was on horseback and his men were happy to have him back and thronged around him, making him a target.

He was mortally wounded in the forehead, but remained conscious for ten days.  He died on the 12th.    During that time he sent for his wife in Macomb by telegraph, arranged his business affairs and remarked to his friends, "I have been true to my God, to my country and to my family."

It should be an interesting talk tonight at the McHenry Civil War Round Table meeting in Woodstock, Illinois.

--Old Secesh


No comments: