The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

"Lorena" Songwriter-- Part 4: Civil War: "Who Is Walking, There Across the Street?"

During the Civil War, Joseph Webster taught and composed a variety of songs related to the war.  He also was captain and drill sergeant for the local home guard, the Elkhorn Wide-Awakes.  He attempted to enlist but was told his eyesight was not good enough.

Then, a good story as told by Webster: "I protested, insisting that my vision was most certainly sufficient.  He said then, 'All right, Webster, take off your spectacles and tell me who is walking there across the street.'  I removed my eyeglasses, and took my best guess at who might be at that place at that time 'Why, it's Mr. ____,' I asserted.  At his short bark of laughter, I put my eyeglasses back in place, and realized that no one at all was across the way."

He did, however, serve in the local militia, the Elkhorn Wide Awakes, training them using his previous learning of military.

--Old Secesh

No comments: