The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Killing Time and Researching-- Part 1: The "Groundhog Day" Movie B&B


Yesterday, I went to Woodstock, Illinois, to attend the McHenry County Civil War Round Table and arrived an hour early at the library where Charlie Banks was to make his power point presentation on "Lincoln's Final Journey."

I have always loved libraries.  It is like a treasure hunt in them.  You never know what you're going to find.

After reading the Chicago Tribune and McHenry County's Northwest Herald (you can't beat the price), I still had time so went to the local history collection and started perusing some of their holdings.  I came across the two volume Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Biography of McHenry County Citizens from 1903.

I decided to look for Civil War veterans in the remaining time before the meeting began.  Unfortunately, there was no index, so I had to page through it.

Of interest, I came across the name Charles P. Barnes who was a prominent lawyer and judge in Woodstock, the name didn't do anything for me, but there was also a picture of his house and it really appears to me to be the one used as the Bed & Breakfast where Bill Murray stayed in the movie "Groundhog Day."

I seem to remember from my RoadDog's RoadLog blog that the home had been owned by a judge.  Is it possible that this is the house used in the movie, and, did it have a Civil War connection?

Is This the Home?  --Old Secesh

No comments: