The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Lucien P. Greathouse-- Part 1: Youngest Union Colonel?


While researching William McHenry for my Not So Forgotten War of 1812 blog, I found than he was buried in Old State Cemetery in Vandalia, Illinois.  Another person buried there is one Col. Lucien Greathouse who was killed at the Battle of Atlanta while leading his troops.

I'd never heard of him.

There wasn't even an article about him in Wikipedia or even a stub, even though one source I found said he was the youngest Union colonel in the war.  He was just 22 when he was killed.

He commanded the 48th Illinois Infantry Regiment.

Looks like I will have to do some research on him.

I have been writing a lot about the Star-Spangled Banner and Fort McHenry in my War of 1812 blog.  I thought that McHenry County, Illinois, where we live, was named after Fort McHenry, but it was named after William McHenry.

--Old Secesh

No comments: