The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

John Beall's Last Letter to His Brother-- Part 2: "I Die For My Country"


Remember me kindly to my friends.  Say to them I am not aware of committing any crime against society.  I die for my country.  No thirst for blood or lucre animated me in my course.  For I had refused when solicited to engage in enterprises which I deemed destructive but illegitimate, and but a few months ago I had but to have spoken, and I would have been red with blood, and rich with the plunder of the foe.

But my hands are clear of blood, unless it be spilt in conflict and not a cent enriches my pocket.

Should you be spared through this strife, stay with mother, and be a comfort in her old age.   Endure the hardships of the campaign as a man.  In my trunk and box you can get  plenty of clothes.

Give my love to mother, the girls, too.  May God bless you all now and evermore, is my prayer and wish for you.

John Y. Beall

--Old Secesh

No comments: