The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Dr. Ezra Read Union Army (Brother of Abner Read, USN)


I have been writing a lot about Abner Read, a Union Navy officer killed in action in 1863 in my Running the Blockade: Civil War Navy blog.  I got with him while doing my Tattooed On Your Soul: World War II blog.  A destroyer named after him had its stern blown off by a Japanese mine while operating in the Aleutian Islands.  It did not sink, was repaired, but later sank after being hit by a kamikaze plane.

From Find-A-Grave.

Click on my Running the Blockade: Civil War Navy blog on My Blog List section to find out more about Abner Read.  I wrote about him last month and this month.

Abner Read had one brother in the Union Army and three half brothers who also served the United States.

Dr. Ezra Read was his older brother.born 2 August 1810 in Marietta, Ohio.  Died  10 May 1877 in Terre Haute, Indiana.  Buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in that city.

He Led Quite An Interesting Life.  --Old Secesh




1 comment:

Anthony Meeks said...

I have a transcription of a letter from Ezra Read that you might be interested in seeing. The letter appeared in the Indianapolis Daily Journal on September 25, 1862. The title of the letter is "The 21st Indiana in Another Battle."