The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, December 7, 2020

The Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors on the 79th Anniversary of the Attack

Every December 7 I devote all eight blogs to the story of Pearl Harbor.  I also put up my U.S. flags.  Right now I am thinking of ordering a 48-star flag for future use because that is the flag that flew at Pearl Harbor and during World War II.

The original Pearl Harbor Survivors organization is no more.  Age and deaths are taking its toll on those members of the Greatest Generation.  I am glad to see an active group of their children involved in carrying on their story, the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors.

Kathleen Farley, California Chairwoman of the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors said that many of the actual survivors ate already talking about going to Pearl Harbor for the 80th anniversary if it's safe by then.

Farley, whose father, now deceased, was on the USS California and spent three days after the attack picking up bodies, has attended the Pearl Harbor ceremonies for the past twenty years.

"I know deep down in my heart that one of these days, we're not going to have any survivors left," she said.  "I honor them while we still have them and I can thank them in person."

--Pearl Harbor


No comments: