The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

CSS Alabama Flag Up for Auction

From the June 16th Watertown (Wi) Daily Times.

June 17th, Sotheby's of New York City will be auctioning off several Civil War related items of note, including a rare Second National Confederate flag that family tradition says was the flag that was struck as the CSS Alabama was sinking after its June 18, 1864, battle with the USS Kearsarge.

I looked all over the net and could not find out any more about this flag, which with my being really interested in all things naval during the Civil War, is of particular interest. There is a photo of the flag.

I did see that Wikipedia mentions that there are four known Second national flags from the Alabama.

I'd especially like to know how it came into possession of the next owner along with its subsequent history.

I'll Keep Looking. --Old B-Runner

No comments: