The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, June 13, 2011

New Name for the New Market Battle

I got this information from the Civil War Interactive site. 

The New Market Battlefield State Historic Park in Virginia has a new name. From now on it is going to be called the Virginia Museum of the Civil War.

Folks at the site think this will increase visitors as they will have a better idea what the site is about. Unfortunately, most people today have no idea what happened at New Market and they probably think it is some sore of a farmers' market or something like that. 

Personally, New Market will always mean the battle fought by the corps of cadets from the Virginia Military Institute. Like with Comiskey Park and the Sears Tower in Chicago, it will remain New Market to me.

Thinkin' Market, Not Museum. --Old B-Runner


1 comment:

Greg Taylor said...

Whatever they call it I will be there next month on my "Sesquicentennial" summer vacation. I thought I was visiting a battlefield not a museum when plannned to go there, but I see that there are both. So much the better. Frankly I think that New Market Battlefield State Historical Park is a perfectly fine name.