The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Col. Ulric Dahlgren's Leg May or May Not Be Buried at the Washington Navy Yard


From the December 20, 2018, Greater Greater Washington, D.C.:  "Breakfast Links: 10 interesting facts about Navy Yard you probably didn't know" by Leticia Johnson.

Even though the Washington Navy Yard probably should be in my Civil War Navy blog, since this story is primarily on a Union Army officer, I decided to put it here.  I have been writing about the Washington Navy Yard in my Not So Forgotten: War of 1812 blog in regards to its destruction by the British and Americans during the attack on Washington, D.C., during that war.

I like to cross-over my blogs whenever I can.

Abraham Lincoln was a frequent visitor to this place during the war and John Wilkes Booth made his escape after the assassination over the Washington Navy Yard Bridge.

COLONEL ULRIC DAHLGREN'S LEG

Sounds like the makings of a good ghost story.  The man's leg was buried at the Navy Yard.

10.  There's a leg... buried in a parking garage... (that may or not still be there).

The severed appendage in question belongs to Ulric Dahlgren.

Want To Know More?  --Old SecehLeg



No comments: