The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Today Is the 77th Anniversary of the Doolittle Raid, April 18, 1942


Sadly, I mentioned to a millennial friend last week about the death of Richard Cole.  Now, I didn't expect her to know Richard Cole, so I added that he was a member of Doolittle's Raiders in World War II.  Well, at least she knew about World War II, but had never heard of the Doolittle Raid.

I tell you, our education system with its current intense effort on math and science and overlooking history and geography is a big part of the blame for this.  Anyway, I did a quick review of just how important of an event was on American morale in those first months of our involvement in the war.

At least she knows a little bit about it now.

But today, in honor of Richard Cole, the last of Doolittle's Raiders to die on April 9, I am going to write about the Raid and Mr. Cole in all seven of my blogs.

Job Well Done Mr. Cole and the Rest of Your Raiders.  Like I Say, the Greatest Generation (GreGen).  --GreGen

No comments: