The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Quotes from "Gods and Generals"

While looking at the imdb site for the movie "Gods and Generals" where Robert Duvall starred in the role of Robert E. Lee, I came across some quotes of interest.

### Robert E. Lee at Fredericksburg viewing the slaughter of Union troops: "It is well that war is so terrible or we should grow too fond of it."

### On Jackson's wounding at Chancellorsville: "He's lost his left arm. I've lost my right."

### A conversation between Generals Jackson and John Bell Hood:

Jackson: "Tell me, general, do you expect to live till the end of the war?"

Hood: Oh, I do not know, but...I'm inclined to think I will. I expect to be wounded. And you, general?"

Jackson: "I do not expect to live to see the end of the war. Nor, can I say that without victory I would desire to do so."

I have heard the first two quotes by Lee, but I am not familiar with Jackson and Hood's conversation.

You'd just have to wonder if the outcome at Gettysburg might have been different if Jackson had been there. General Hood lost both an arm and a leg in the fighting.

One Great Movie. --Blockade-Runner

No comments: